Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Customer Spotlight #10: Susan Hollowell from Goldsboro, NC

This is the 10th in our series Cobweb Corner Customer Spotlight. Enjoy the interview and the fabulous photos chosen especially to share with you. Please comment after reading the interview - the featured stitcher will be thrilled to know you took the time to admire and comment on their craft.


Click each picture to see larger detail.

Tell us something unusual about your self: I'm a Critical Care Transport/Flight Nurse who grew up on a dairy farm. I almost always take my stitching with me on vacations so I have something to do in the rooms at night.

How long have you been stitching and how did you start? I started stitching in 1980 when I was 10 years old. My Mom was going to learn and I wanted to also. My Great Aunt taught us both. I still have that first project.

Why did you select the pieces you did to share with us?
I don’t have too many to share because most of what I do is for gifts and are soon gone. One is from Bibs with Attitudes, the Lighthouses (possibly by C Stitch), the Lab was from a Dog Breeds book, and the Snowmen towel is from Charles Craft.

Do you have a favorite designer or style that you prefer? I don’t have any favorites, I just find designs that I like and want to use. I have done things from so many different designers. I do a lot of baby bibs and a lot of Christmas towels and ornaments. I love to give these at Christmas and for births. Although I have had a few friends not use the bibs and sippie cups that I make because they don’t want to mess them up.

Is there anything you wish would change in the cross stitch industry? With the internet, at least patterns, materials and floss are accessible more than ever. I live in a town where we just got a Michael’s a few years ago but I can’t always find what I need.

How often do you stitch and where do you do it? I have a love seat in our living room and I sit there and cross-stitch almost every day while watching TV. My husband tells me I miss stuff in movies all the time because I am stitching. It’s my form of therapy and relaxation.

Are you embarrassed to admit to friends and family how much stash you have on hand? I probably should be, but my crafty friends would completely understand. I always have stuff so that I never have to start from scratch when I want to do something.
Do you have a favorite quote? “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle


Thank you Susan! Please post comments/questions for Susan below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,
Love the pieces that you have chosen to stitch! I especially like your snowmen piece, the phrase is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Susan,
The article was great. I'm blessed to have some of your pieced in my home and a few date back over twenty years. You have a great talent and so glad you love to cross stich!

BA