Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Customer Spotlight - Beverly

This is the seventh in our series Cobweb Corner Customer Spotlight. Enjoy the interview and the fabulous photos chosen especially to share with you. Please comment after reading the interview - the featured stitcher will be thrilled to know you took the time to admire and comment on their craft.

Tell us something unusual about your self: My husband and I have been full-time RVers for 29 years. We winter in Southern Arizona and have spent the last several summers working at Bryce Canyon, Utah and prior to that we worked at several other national parks in the southwest.

How long have you been stitching and how did you start? When we first went on the road in 1980, I was doing lots of plastic canvas. But while in Silver City, New Mexico one summer in 1990, friends talked me in to trying cross stitch. So I made a 50th anniversary project for my parents in cross stitch. Wasn't sure I liked doing it because it took so much longer to complete than a project in plastic canvas. But eventually I became hooked and have been a cross stitch addict ever since.

Why did you select the pieces you did to share with us? These are just three of my favorite projects. The first one is called Native American Fashion and was a kit from Design Works. The second one is called A Friend Is and is from one of the issues of the Cross Stitcher magazine. The third one is called Wake Up Prayer and is a Stoney Creek design.

Do you have a favorite designer or style that you prefer? I love Stoney Creek designs. I like to do both large and small projects and I love florals, especially pansies.

Is there anything you wish would change in the cross stitch industry? I would like to see some of the kit designs be made available in just a leaflet. Many of us buy kits because that is the only way we can get some of the patterns and then we end up not using the floss or fabric that comes with the kits.

How often do you stitch and where do you do it? Since we live in our RV, I do almost all my stitching in the chair in the living room part of the trailer. Sometimes I take it outside on the patio when it is a nice day. I spend a minimum of 3 hours a day stitching.

Are you embarrassed to admit to friends and family how much stash you have on hand? No, I am proud of all the great patterns I have collected over the years.

Do you have a favorite quote? No

Thank you Beverly! Please post comments/questions for Beverly below.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

such beautiful work from great patience and talent, thanks Carla for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! And I agree with you--I wish there were patterns available without the entire kit. If I buy a kit, I ususally use my own floss and fabric. The companies are kinda skimpy on the fabric sometimes. My favorite designers are Linda Myers and Stoney Creek but I collect all kinds of cross stitch patterns and cross stitch magazines. Happy Stitching!
Ruth from Illinois

Anonymous said...

I am also RV'er--- part time for 6 months in Texas and AZ. I love to stitch and its great to see what others are doing!!! I like stoney creek as well and have just finished a small yellow grosbeak piece that i sold at a local arts show this past labor weekend. One thing about cross stitching---it doesn't require a lot of storage or inventory and is fairly easy to get what you need on the road. Happy stitchin!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Beverly! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I love the Indian dresses all in a row. I've not seen anything like that before. I will have to scout around more. Very impressive.
thanks
joan

Anonymous said...

Someone was asking about the Cross Stitcher design called A Friend Is. This is from the June 1995 Issue of the Cross Stitcher Magazine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beverly,
I too, love the Indian dresses in a row! Can you please tell me what the design is called and who it's by?
Many thanks.
Jane from the UK.