Monday, August 24, 2009

Customer Spotlight - Cheryl Berger from Northern California

This is the fifth in our series Cobweb Corner Customer Spotlight. Enjoy the interview and the fabulous photos chosen especially to share with you. Please comment after reading the interview - the featured stitcher will be thrilled to know you took the time to admire and comment on their craft.

Tell us something unusual about your self: I took French for 14 years and minored in it in college. The Dean had to invent the minor for me, since no one had majored in Computer Science and minored in French before.

How long have you been stitching and how did you start? Since I was 9, so about 37/38 years. Our family hosted a neighborhood garage sale, which included a stamped cross stitch "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep". It didn't sell, and the neighbor who owned it insisted I keep it; she wouldn't take my 5 ¢. I have made up for that bargain many times over by now.

Why did you select the pieces you did to share with us? "My Stitching Treasures" by Jeannette Douglas because it's probably my favorite of all the pieces I've stitched. The range of stitches is amazing, the fibers are beautiful, and the colors are my colors. And it only took a few weeks to stitch!

"Strawberry Thief, Bird and Woodpecker" textiles from the "Art of William Morris in Cross Stitch" by Barbara Hammet. My father-in-law's life passion was his William Morris collection. For his 80th birthday, I stitched the piece, cut the mats and stretched the work, and my husband made the frame. It was a true Arts & Crafts gift, and my father-in-law was speechless. When he passed, the piece came back to us, and we treasure it.

George Seurat's "Sunday in the Park" by Color Charts because it was so labor intensive and detailed.

Do you have a favorite designer or style that you prefer? Although I do all types of embroidery, I do a lot of cross stitch over one thread on very small count linen. It takes up less wall space :) and the piece has impact from much closer up.

Is there anything you wish would change in the cross stitch industry? I would love to see the Festivals (Spirit of Cross Stitch, CATS, Hearts of Cross Stitch) return locally. I know they're still around, but to travel so far when I know I'm going to spend SO much at the Merchandise Mall is hard to justify to my very patient spouse.

How often do you stitch and where do you do it? I try to stitch most evenings; it's my escape. I have my corner of our reclining couch with a table and light set up for my supplies.

Are you embarrassed to admit to friends and family how much stash you have on hand? No, most of them insist they have stashes at least as large as mine (but I have my doubts.)

Do you have a favorite quote? "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

Anything else you would like to add? I belong to the local chapter of EGA, and it has been a wonderful experience. I recommend to everyone to find a guild or club of some kind near you. Stitchers are some of the nicest people I know, and it's a wonderful way to share information, tips and with our group, recipes, since food plays a happy part of our gatherings.

Thank you Cheryl! Please post comments/questions for Cheryl below.

10 comments:

Debsparkles said...

This work is lovely, I am very envious of those with the talent to stitch such creations. Thank you for this interview.

Jo said...

LOVE that top piece "my stitching treasures"! I am not a cross stitcher myself but I know something that takes a lot of work when I see it. That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pieces, Cheryl, thank you for sharing!!

Cindy Haller said...

What a great interview. Thanks for sharing and keep stitching! You have a beautiful talent.

Anonymous said...

Being in the same EGA chapter, I can vouch for how wonderful ALL your work is! Thank you so much for persuading me to join such a fun group. Can’t wait to see what you will make next. Susie Kelly

Anonymous said...

Wow what a talent! These pieces are beautiful!

Dave Grammas

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are OUT there for all to see. Love your pieces and the ones that didn't get here. Great personal info too. Thanx for sharing. You are so great at sharing your time, art and self. Thank You.
Cheri Hoggan

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I love the painting that was converted to cross stitch. Impressive and very time consuming, I am sure.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pieces! I also, love to work over one thread. Thank you for sharing with us.

Rachel S-H said...

Great spotlight! Your stitching is beautiful! I also wish there were more festivals locally.